What is a .rar file?
A RAR file (short for a Roshal Archive Compressed file) is a compressed file, or data container, that holds one or more other files and folders inside of it.
Table of contents
- How to Open a RAR File?
- 1. Download 7zip from the links below.
- 2. After downloading, click on the downloaded file to install and install it.
- 3. Choose the file that you have you unzip
- 4. Right-click on that file
- 5. Select 7zip. It will open sub-options
- 6. In those sub-options select “Extract to <filename>/” option. and click enter.
- 7. Now, it will extract the RAR file to the original file 🙂
- What Is.rar Files Used For?
How to Open a RAR File?
1. Download 7zip from the links below.
If you don’t know about your system architecture, then I suggest you download 32 bit.
2. After downloading, click on the downloaded file to install and install it.
The downloaded file is a .exe file, simply double-tap on it. It asks permission to allow the source in order to install the file. Click on Yes, and complete the installation process.
3. Choose the file that you have you unzip
4. Right-click on that file
5. Select 7zip. It will open sub-options
6. In those sub-options select “Extract to <filename>/” option. and click enter.
7. Now, it will extract the RAR file to the original file 🙂
Windows computers don’t have a direct support to open RAR files.
If you double-click or double-tap a RAR file without having specific software installed to open it, you’ll probably see one of the following messages: “Windows cannot open this file” or “How do you want to open this type of file (.rar)?”.
RAR is actually the regular format of an archive program called WinRAR.
The only problem with using WinRAR is that it’s not free! Before you run off and buy it, please know that there are plenty of free RAR openers that can do the exact same thing but at zero cost.
Of all the un-RAR tools out there, 7-Zip is probably the best one.
Check the 7zip download links below. If you don’t know about your system architecture, then I suggest you download 32 bit.
What Is.rar Files Used For?
You’ll probably only run into a RAR file when you’re downloading computer software.
File sharing websites and software distributors sometimes put their files in a RAR file so that they can compress it down to a smaller size, allowing you to download it faster than you otherwise could.
Some RAR files are split into parts for easier transmission.
Apart from just saving on download time, RAR files can also be protected with a password and encrypted so that the contents inside of them stay hidden unless you know the password.
Think of this like a little-locked box full of data, with the password being the key.
Most RAR files won’t have a password protecting them, being used to store images, documents, videos, or whatever type of file the author wanted.
Another time a RAR file might be useful is when a friend has a long list of files they want to share with you, like photos, for example.
Instead of having you download every single image file individually, your friend can first compile the photos into a RAR file and then share just that one file with you.
Once you open a RAR file, you can extract out the data from the inside and then use the files like you would any other file on you computer.